• Phyto-plankton/benthos ecology
• Primary productivity studies
• Developing indices of biotic integrity.
• BSc. Botany, Zoology, Chemistry
• MSc Fundamental and Applied Marine Ecology)
• Co-ordinated the Kenyan chapter of the IOC- UNESCO project to survey the potentially harmful marine microalgae of the Kenyan waters.
• Previously involved in regional Coral Reef Degradation Project in the Indian Ocean (CORDIO) as well as participating in the international U.V project.
• David Kirugara and Peter Wawiye. U.V. Radiation and Recruitment of microalgal assemblages in a coastal lagoon” in. ed. Coral reef degradation in the Indian Ocean. Status report 2002. Ed. Olof Linden, David Souter, Dan Willhelmsson and David Obura.
• Gert Hensen, Jean Turquet, Jean Pascal Quad, Loic Ten-Hage, Charles Lugomela, Margareth Kwewalyanga, Mira Hurbungs, Peter Wawiye, Bernard Ogongo, Shadrack Tunje and Henry Rakotoarinjanahary. “Potentially harmful algae of the western Indian Ocean- a guide based on a preliminary survey.” IOC Manuals and Guides NO.41, International Oceanographic Commission of UNESCO 2001