Kisumu Research Centre is situated to the West of Kisumu town on the Winam Gulf of Lake Victoria at an altitude of 1190m a.s.l. The Centre was established as one of the centres for the East Africa Freshwater Research Organization prior to its breakup in 1977 and assumed its role in 1979 as a result of an enactment of the Science and technology act (Amendment) Act, and was charged with the responsibility of conducting research and making management recommendations essential for the national exploitation marine and fresh water resources.
The catchment area of Lake Victoria in Kenya covers an area of about 46,000 km² with a population estimated at 5 million. Kisumu Research Centre is situated at the shores of lake Victoria, the world second largest fresh water lake. The Centre undertakes a broader spectrum of research activities ranging from fisheries, environment, aquaculture, ecology and socio-economics run as programs. It co-ordinates research work in various main freshwater bodies, rivers and small water bodies.
R.V Uvumbuzi is a modern and best equipped vessel for aquatic research and it is expected to help the fisheries and limnologist scientists in KMFRI to explore the frontiers of science in Lake Victoria. It is also equipped to carry out research in hydro-acoustics and trawling. The research undertaken using this vessel will strengthen the collaborative work already going on within the East African Community.
Some of Current Projects:
- Nagasaki (LAVICOD)
- Enhnced Fish Market Information Service (EFMIS)
- Lake Victoria Enviromental Management Project (LVEMP II)
- Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO)
- Biogeochemical characterization, sources and intrinsic drivers to nutrient speciation within Nyanza Gulf – Lake Victoria.
Some of Main Collaborators:
- Maseno University
- Egerton University
- Kisii University
- Madison University, USA.
- State Department of Fisheries & Blue Economy
Researchers in Kisumu Centre
- Dr. Cyprian Odoli - Head of quality control
- Mr.Caleb Ayub Ogwai - Parastologist
- Mr. Casianes Olilo - Environmental scientist (Head of researchers and internal seminars)
- Mr. Chrisphine Nyamweya - Fisheries and modelling (Head of project proposal writing in freshwater systems).
- Mr. Collins Ongore - Environmental Scientist
- Mr. Ernest Ondiek Yongo - Socio - economics fresh water systems (Head)
- Mr. Fredrick Jared Guya - Researches on climate change and associated impacts.
- Mr. George Morara Basweti - Water quality and biodiversity.
- Mrs. Hilda Nyaboke Mogaka - Fisheries scientist (Head of outreach programs)
- Mr. Jared Babu Miruka - Environment and ecosystems
- Mr. John K. Okechi- Aquaculture production socio-economics and marketing
- Mr. Joseph Nyaundi - Limnology
- Mr. Peter Wawiye - Phyto-plankton/benthos ecology
- Mr. Reuben Omweng - Socio- Economist fresh water systems
- Mr. Veronica O. Ombwa - Aquaculture and food technology
- Mrs.Monica Owili - Internal seminar coordinator
Center Director/Assistant Director
Dr. Christopher Aura (PhD)
Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute
Kisumu Research Centre
P.O. Box 1881-40100
Telephone +254 711 233 774