PS SDFA & BE Dr Francis Owino (centre), KMFRI BoM Chair Hon John Mumba (2nd right), KMFRI Director Prof James Njiru (left) during a courtesy call to Mombasa County commissioner Mr Gilbert Kitiyo.
The newly appointed Principal Secretary SDFA & BE Dr Francis O. Owino (seated centre) during his maiden visit at KMFRI Mombasa headquarters on 2nd March 2021.
Kenya Launches a coral reef fish project (Funded by Japan/FAO) to improve food security, livelihoods and maritime safety through increased resilience of coastal fishing communities
KMFRI Mombasa Center Director, Dr. Eric Okuku (centre) representing KMFRI Director and Assistant Director (Projects & Collaborations/CD Shimoni) Dr. James Kairo (right), meet Dr. Mathieu Guerin from France Embassy to explore possible research collaboration with French institutions.
KMFRI Director, Prof. James Njiru (right) exchange MoU with VC Pioneer International University, Dr Gideon Maina (left), this SDFA & BE MoU is on several areas of collaboration that includes Kenya Fisheries Services. The ceremony was witnessed by outgoing PS Prof. Micheni Ntiba on on 22nd Feb. 2021at Kilimo House, Nairobi
KMFRI Director, Prof. James Njiru (right) and Mombasa CD, Dr. Erick Okuku during the World Wetlands day on 2nd February, 2021 held at Sabaki Estuary, the celebration was officiated by the CS for Environment and Forestry Mr. Keriako Tobiko who led government officials and communities in planting mangrove trees
Director KMFRI Prof. James Njiru (right) with Deputy Director Freshwater System, Dr. Christopher Aura (centre) and Ag. ADF, Kenya Fisheries Services, Mr. Simon Munguti (left) during the Launch of Electronic Catch Assessment Survey (e-CAS) system and Stake Holder’s Engagement and dissemination Workshop on Environmental Clean-up and Mentorship Framework at Sosa Cottages in Vihiga County on 4 - 5th Jan, 2021
Dr. Domitila Kyule-Muendo has a vast knowledge and experience in fish and fish products development and their safety. She has published 3 books and over 15 papers in peer reviewed journals and has innovated thirteen fish products and an improved fish smoking kiln that have been adopted, validated and upscaled by fish traders across the country. She has also successfully collaborated with various institutions in aquaculture and in food safety/phytosanitary requirements in fish processing research managed by international and regional organizations such as UNIDO, AAK-Kenya, AFIPEK, ASARECA, KAPAP, CSAP projects implementation with funds from European Union (EU) and World Bank. Dr Kyule-Muendo is currently the Centre Director, KMFRI, Sagana and is involved in coordinating research activities at the centre and a facilitator in aspects of post harvest technologies, value addition and fish safety and general aspects of aquaculture. She sits in Technical & Vocational Education & training (TVET) Curriculum development committee on occupational standards for aquaculture Technicians, Kenya. She is also a liaison officer and technical committee member on county engagements and collaborations.
Research Network: Research Gate
2014 to 2019: PhD Microbiology, Kenyatta University, Kenya
2007-2009: MSc in Limnology and Wetland ecosystems, UNESCO-IHE, Netherlands
1999-2003: Nairobi University BSC (Botany and zoology) Second class honors upper division
- Fonda Jane Awuor, Kevin Obiero, Jonathan Munguti, John Ouko Oginga, Domitila Kyule, Mary A. Opiyo, Peter Oduor-Odote, Ernest Yongo, Horace Owiti & Jacob Ochiewo (2019) Market Linkages and Distribution Channels of Cultured, Captured and Imported Fish in Kenya Aquaculture Studies, 19(1), http://doi.org/10.4194/2618-6381-v19_1_06
- Orina, P.S., Charo-Karisa, H., Munguti, J.M., Boera, P., Abwao, J., Kyule, D., Opiyo M. A.,Marcial H. and Rasowo, O. (2018). ) A Comparative Study of Labeo victorianus (Bouelenger, 1901) and Oreochromis niloticus (Linnaeus, 1758) in Polyculture Systems. Lakes & Reservoirs: Research and Management 23 (1): 56-62. https://doi.org/10.1111/lre.12202
- Opiyo, M.A.,Orina, P., Kyule, D., Munguti, J. M. Nyonje, B.M. and Charo-Karisa, H. (2016) Growth performance and survival of three African Catfish (Clarias gariepinus, Burchell 1882) strains reared in hapas in Kenya. Bulletin of Animal Health and Production in Africa Special Edition 2016 - Fisheries and Aquaculture Resources 64 (2): 31 – 39. ISSN 0378 – 9721. au-ibar.org/component/jdownloads/finish/14/2969
- Kyule, D.Opiyo, M.A. Ogello E., Obiero, K. Maranga, , Orina, P., Charo-Karisa, H. and Munguti, J. (2016). Determination of Fish Value Added Product- Preferences Among the Residents of Wote Town, Makueni County, Kenya . Bulletin of Animal Health and Production in Africa Special Edition 2016 - Fisheries and Aquaculture Resources 64 (2): 69 – 78. ISSN 0378 – 9721. au-ibar.org/component/jdownloads/finish/14/2969
- Opiyo, M. A.,Mugo, J. B., Kyule, D. and Okemwa, G. (2016). Overview of Ornamental Fish Production in Kenya: Current status, Opportunities and Challenges. Bulletin of Animal Health and Production in Africa Special Edition 2016 - Fisheries and Aquaculture Resources, 64 (2): 193 – 200. ISSN 0378 – 9721. au-ibar.org/component/jdownloads/finish/14/2969
- Munguti, J.M., Musa, S., Orina, P.S., Kyule, D.N.,Opiyo, M. A. Charo-Karisa, H. and Ogello, E.O. (2014). An overview of current status of Kenyan fish feed industry and feed management practices, challenges and opportunities. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies 1(6): 128-137. ISSN: 2347-5129. http://www.fisheriesjournal.com/vol1issue6/Pdf/145.1.pdf
- Kyule, D.,Opiyo, M.A., Yongo, Obiero, K., Munguti J. and Charo-Karisa H. (2014). Fish product development and market trials of fish and fish products in Kenya: a case study of Kirinyaga and Meru Counties. Livestock Research for Rural Development 26 (6) Retrieved June 25, 2014, from http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd26/6/kyul26108.htm
- Obiero, K., Opiyo, M.A., Munguti, M.J., Orina, P.S., Kyule, D., Yongo, E., Githukia, C.M. and Charo-Karisa, H. (2014). Consumer preference and marketing of farmed Nile Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) and African Catfish (Clarias gariepinus) in Kenya: Case Study of Kirinyaga and Vihiga Counties. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic studies 1(5): 67-76. ISSN: 2347-5129.http://www.fisheriesjournal.com/vol1issue5/pdf/79.1.pdf
- Domitila Kyule-Muendo, Jonathan M. Munguti, Mary A. Opiyo, Kevin O. Obiero, Cecilia M. Githukia, Paul S. Orina, James M. Njiru and Harrison Charo-Karisa (2017) Fish Recipe Book, Vol. 1, Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute (KMFRI), Kenya Literature Bureau, Nairobi, Kenya. 45pp
- Munguti, J.M., Obiero K., Kyule D, Orina, P S, Githukia C.M, Opiyo M.A, Fonda J.A, Elijah E, Ondiba R., Abwao J, Musa S, and Njiru J. (2019) Training of Trainers (ToT) manual for aquaculture value chain, Master Trainers’ Manual, Kenya Climate Smart Agriculture Project (KCSAP) Secretariat, KALRO Headquarters
- Obiero K., Domitila Kyule et al 2017 State of Aquaculture in Kenya.
MEMBERSHIP TO PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- Member of Eastern Africa Water Association (EAWA)
- Member of Aquaculture Association of Kenya (AAK)
- Member of Sustainable Aquaculture Research Networks in Sub Saharan Africa (SARNISSA)
- Member of Kenyatta University, Alumni
- Member of Agricultural Show of Kenya (ASK)
- Dr. Domitila Kyule-Muendo, Newsmakers of the week –On how fish farmers can increase yields- Sunday Nation, 1st September 2019
- Dr. Domitila Kyule-Muendo seeds of Gold- Look out for better fish species in coming months, Saturday Nation 31st August 2019
- Domitila Kyule, Seeds of Gold, on value addition in fish, Saturday Nation 16th February 2019