PS SDFA & BE Dr Francis Owino (centre), KMFRI BoM Chair Hon John Mumba (2nd right), KMFRI Director Prof James Njiru (left) during a courtesy call to Mombasa County commissioner Mr Gilbert Kitiyo.
The newly appointed Principal Secretary SDFA & BE Dr Francis O. Owino (seated centre) during his maiden visit at KMFRI Mombasa headquarters on 2nd March 2021.
Kenya Launches a coral reef fish project (Funded by Japan/FAO) to improve food security, livelihoods and maritime safety through increased resilience of coastal fishing communities
KMFRI Mombasa Center Director, Dr. Eric Okuku (centre) representing KMFRI Director and Assistant Director (Projects & Collaborations/CD Shimoni) Dr. James Kairo (right), meet Dr. Mathieu Guerin from France Embassy to explore possible research collaboration with French institutions.
KMFRI Director, Prof. James Njiru (right) exchange MoU with VC Pioneer International University, Dr Gideon Maina (left), this SDFA & BE MoU is on several areas of collaboration that includes Kenya Fisheries Services. The ceremony was witnessed by outgoing PS Prof. Micheni Ntiba on on 22nd Feb. 2021at Kilimo House, Nairobi
KMFRI Director, Prof. James Njiru (right) and Mombasa CD, Dr. Erick Okuku during the World Wetlands day on 2nd February, 2021 held at Sabaki Estuary, the celebration was officiated by the CS for Environment and Forestry Mr. Keriako Tobiko who led government officials and communities in planting mangrove trees
Director KMFRI Prof. James Njiru (right) with Deputy Director Freshwater System, Dr. Christopher Aura (centre) and Ag. ADF, Kenya Fisheries Services, Mr. Simon Munguti (left) during the Launch of Electronic Catch Assessment Survey (e-CAS) system and Stake Holder’s Engagement and dissemination Workshop on Environmental Clean-up and Mentorship Framework at Sosa Cottages in Vihiga County on 4 - 5th Jan, 2021
Dr Kevin Obiero is a Research Scientist working with Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute (KMFRI). He holds a PhD Degree in Natral Resources and Life Sciences from the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences (BOKU), Vienna, Austria. Currently, he is the Centre Director at KMFRI Sangoro in-charge of coordinating research, administrative and financial functions to ensure research activities are aligned to the Institute’s strategic plan, vision and mandate.
Kevin has a distinguished career as a research scientist and throughout his academic training spanning over 15 years, he has participated in several international research projects. Within these multidisciplinary research programmes, has co-authored over 40 publications i.e., 20 peer-reviewed journal articles, 20 books/book chapters, > 20 conference proceedings, technical and consultancy reports. He is member of Aquaculture Regional Working Group for the Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO); Principal Investigator and thematic leader for Aquaculture Value Chain under the Kenya Climate Smart Agriculture Project (KCSAP) and well as the Training Selection Member for the scholarship Programme funded by KCSAP.
Dr Obiero is the Board Chair of the African Center for Aquatic Research and Education (ACARE - https://www.agl-acare.org/), a highly collaborative organization whose goals are to positively affect policy and management on Africa's Great Lakes by executing a long-term network of freshwater experts to strengthen science in Africa. He is also a Board Member of IISD Experimental Lakes Area (IISD-ELA - https://www.iisd.org/ela/), the world's freshwater laboratory comprised of 58 small lakes and their watersheds set aside for scientific research in Manitoba, Canada.
Research Network: Research Gate
Online Publication Profile:
- ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Kevin_Obiero4
- ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3441-3976
- Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=2vfGf-EAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate
- edu: https://boku.academia.edu/KevinObiero
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kevin-obiero-63ab0421/
2016 - 2019: PhD Natural Resources and Life Sciences (Dr.nat.techn.), University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Vienna, Austria
2009-2012: M.Sc. Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, Moi University, Eldoret, Kenya
2003 - 2007: B.Sc. Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, Moi University, Eldoret, Kenya
- Obiero, K. O., Waidbacher, H., Nyawanda, B.O., Munguti, J.M., Manyala, J.O., Kaunda-Arara, B., (2019). Predicting Uptake of Aquaculture Technologies Among Smallholder Fish Farmers in Kenya. Aquaculture International, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10499-019-00423-0
- Obiero, K., Lawrence, T., Ives, J., Njaya, F., Smith, S., Mkumbo, O., Kayanda, R., Waidbacher, H., Olago, D., Miriti, E., Hecky, R.E. (2019). Advancing Africa’s Great Lakes Research and Academic Potential: A Call for Harmonized, Long-Term, Collaborative Networks and Partnerships. Journal of Great Lakes Research (InPress)
- Obiero, K., Cai, J., Abila, R., Ajayi, O. (2019). Munguti, J. M., Mutune, D. M., and Njiru, J. M Kenya: High aquaculture growth needed to improve food security and nutrition. World Aquaculture Production Indicators (WAPI) Policy Brief, FAO, Rome, Italy. http://www.fao.org/3/ca4693en/ca4693en.pdf
- Awuor, F.J., Obiero, K., Munguti, J., Oginga, J.O., Kyule, D., Opiyo, M.A., Oduor-odote, P., Yongo, E., Ochiewo, J., (2019). Market Linkages and Distribution Channels of Cultured, Captured and Imported Fish in Kenya. Aquaculture Studies, 19 (1), http://doi.org/10.4194/2618-6381-v19_1_06
- Obiero, K.O., Waidbacher, H., Silke Drexler, S., Meulenbroek, P., Adamneh D., Akoll, P., Odong R., Kaunda-Arara, B., (2019). The Contribution of Fish to Food and Nutrition Security in Eastern Africa: Emerging Trends and Future Outlooks. Sustainability 2019, 11, 1636; https://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/11/6/1636
- Vreven, E. J.W.M.N, Musschoot T., Decru E., Snoeks J., Obiero K., Schliewen U. (2018). The complex origins of mouth polymorphism in the Labeobarbus (Cypriniformes: Cyprinidae) of the Inkisi River basin (Lower Congo, DRC, Africa): insights from an integrative approach. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society. https://academic.oup.com/zoolinnean/article-abstract/186/2/414/5094513?redirectedFrom=fulltext
- Abwao, J., Musa S., Ondiba, R., Ogello, E., Obiero, K. (2017). Effect of replacing marine protein with hydrolyzed feather meal on growth, apparent digestibility and body composition of juvenile tilapias; Oreochromis mossambicus (Peters, 1852). International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies 5 (6): 242–250.
- Achieng, A. O., Raburu, P. O., Kipkorir, E. C., Ngodhe, S. O., Obiero, K. O., Ani-Sabwa, J. (2017). Assessment of water quality using multivariate techniques in River Sosiani, Kenya. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 189 (6), 280.
- Obiero, K.O., Waidbacher, H., Drexler, S., Winkler, , Manyala, J.O., Njiru, J.M., Kaunda-Arara, B. (2016). Knowledge management and investing in human capacity development for aquacultural education and training in Africa. Bulletin of Animal Health and Production in Africa, 167–183. ISSN 0378 – 9721.
- Kyule, , Opiyo, M.A., Ogello, E., Obiero, K.O, Maranga, B., Orina., P., Charo-Karisa, H., Munguti, J.M. (2016). Determination of fish value-added product preferences among the residents of Wote Town, Makueni County, Kenya. Bulletin of Animal Health and Production in Africa, 69–78. ISSN 0378 – 9721.
- Okotto-Okotto J., Raburu P. O., Obiero K. O., Obwoyere G. O, Mironga J. M., Okotto L. G., Raburu E. A (2016). Impact of spatio-temporal variation of Lake Victoria water levels on fringing Nyando Wetland ecosystem, Kenya. Wetlands, Springe DOI: 10.1007/s13157-016-0831-y
- Gownaris, J. E. Pikitch, J.Y. Aller, L. Kaufman, J. Kolding, K.M.M Lwiza, Obiero K.O., W.O. Ojwang, J.O. Malala, K.J. Rountos (2016). Fisheries and Water Level Fluctuations in the World’s Largest Desert Lake. Ecohydrology http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/eco.1769/full]
- Ogello, E.O., Kembenya, E. M., Obiero, K.O., Munguti, J.M. (2016) Effects of Nicotina tobacum (Linnaeus) on the survival and behavioural response of the freshwater leeches, Hirudinaria , International Journal of Aquatic Sciences 7 (1):19–24.
- Obiero, K.O., Abila, R., Njiru, M., Raburu, P.O., Kundu, R., Achieng, A.O., Ogello E.O., Munguti J.M., Lawrence, T. (2015) The challenges of management: Recent experiences in implementing fisheries co-management in Lake Victoria, Kenya. Lakes and Reservoirs: Research and Management 20: 139–154.
- Githukia, M., Ogello E.O., Kembenya E.M., Achieng A.O., Obiero K.O., Munguti J.M. (2015). Comparative growth performance of male monosex and mixed sex Nile Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus L.) reared in earthen ponds. Croatian Journal of Fisheries 73: 20–25.
- Obiero, K.O., Opiyo A., Yongo, E., Kyule, D., Githukia C.M., Munguti J.M. & Charo- Karisa H. (2014). Consumer preference and marketing of farmed Nile Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus L.) and African Catfish (Clarias gariepinus) in Kenya: Case study of Kirinyaga and Vihiga Counties. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies 1 (5): 67–76.
- Githukia, M., Obiero K.O., Manyala J.O., Ngugi C.C., Quagrainie K.K. (2014). Analysis of consumer preference of wild and cultured Nile Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus L.) and African Catfish, Clarias gariepinus (Burchell 1822) in selected urban centers in Kenya. International Journal of Advanced Research 2 (7): 694–705.
- Kyule N., Yongo E., Opiyo M. A., Obiero K.O, Munguti J. M., Charo-Karisa H. (2014). Fish product development and market trials of fish and fish products in Kenya: A case study of Kirinyaga and Meru Counties. Livestock Research for Rural Development. Vol 26, Article #108. http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd26/6/kyul26108.htm
- Ogello O., Obiero K.O., Munguti J.M. (2013). Lake Victoria and the common property debate: Is the tragedy of the commons a threat to its future? Journal of Lakes, Reservoirs and Ponds 7 (2): 101–126
- Obiero K.O., Raburu P.O., Okeyo-Owuor J. B., Raburu E. (2012). Community perceptions on the impact of the recession of Lake Victoria water on Nyando Wetla Scientific Research and Essays 7 (16): 1647–1661.
BOOKS AND BOOK CHAPTERS
- Lawrence, T., Obiero, K.O., Nunan, F., Van der Knaap, M., Njiru, J. M., Mkumbo, O. (2018). Learning from the Transboundary Governance of Lake Victoria’s Fisheries. In: Grover, V. I and Krantzberg, G. (Eds), Lakes Governance, Chapter 7, pp. 128-148, CRS Press, Boca Raton, Florida, USA.
- Obiero, K. O., Munguti, J. M., Mutune, D. M., and Njiru, J. M. (2017). Overview of Aquaculture in Kenya. In: Munguti et al. (eds.), State of Aquaculture in Kenya, Chapter 1, pp 1?9, Laxpress Services, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Musa, S., Opiyo, M.A., Obiero, K.O., Ogello, E.O., Githukia, C.M., Ombwa, V., Kembenya, E., Boera, P., Okechi, J. (2017). Status of Freshwater Aquaculture in Kenya. In: Munguti et al. (eds.), State of Aquaculture in Kenya, Chapter 2, pp 10?24, Laxpress Services, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Mirera, D., Obiero, K.O., Mwaluma, J., Munguti, J.M. (2017). Aquaculture Research, Education and Training in Kenya. In: Munguti et al. (eds.), State of Aquaculture in Kenya, Chapter 6, pp 54?61, Laxpress Services, Nairobi, Kenya
- Ochiewo, J., Obiero, K. O., Munguti, J.M., Njiru, J.M. (2017). Legal, Policy and Institutional Frameworks Guiding Aquaculture Development in Kenya. In: Munguti et al. (eds.), State of Aquaculture in Kenya, Chapter 7, pp 62?71, Laxpress Services, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Ochiewo, J., Obiero, K.O., Ogello, E.O., Awuor, J.F., Munguti, J.M., (2017). Social and Economic Impacts of Aquaculture in Kenya. In: Munguti et al. (eds.), State of Aquaculture in Kenya, Chapter 9, pp 80?87, Laxpress Services, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Kyule-Muendo, D., Munguti, J.M., Opiyo, M.A., Obiero, O., Githukia, C.M., Orina, P.S., Njiru, J.M., Charo-Karisa, H. (2017). Fish Recipe Book, Volume 1. Kenya Literature Bureau, Nairobi, Kenya. 45pp
- Opiyo , Charo-Karisa, H., Nyonje, B., Omolo, B., Orina, P., Wainaina, M., Obiero, K., Munguti, J. (2017). Good Aquaculture Practices for Seed Production in Kenya: Volume 1. Tilapia and Catfish. Kenya Literature Bureau, Nairobi, Kenya. ISBN: 9789966100078. 60pp
- Ojwang, W. O., Obiero, K. O., Donde, O. O., Gownaris, N., Pikitch, E. K., Omondi, R., Avery, S. T. (2016). Lake Turkana: World’s Largest Permanent Desert Lake (Kenya). In Finlayson, C. M., Milton, G.R., Prentice, R.C., Davidson, N.C., (eds.), The Wetland Book: II: Distribution, Description and Conservation, Chapter 25, pp. 1–20). Dordrecht: Springer Netherlands. http://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-007-6173-5_254-1.
- Obiero K.O., Wa’Munga P.O., Raburu P.O., Okeyo-Owuor J.B. (2012). The People of Nyando Wetlands: Socio-Economics, Gender and Cultural Issues. In: P.O. Raburu et al. (eds.) Community-based approach to the management of Nyando wetlands, Lake Victoria Basin, Kenya (pp.32–53). McPowl Media Limited, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Raburu P.O., Onyango F.O., Obiero K.O. (2012). The Value of Consumptive Goods and Services of Nyando Wetland. In: P.O. Raburu et al. (eds.), Community Based Approach to The Management of Nyando Wetlands, Lake Victoria Basin, Kenya (pp. 53–67). McPowl Media Limited, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Obiero K.O., Raburu P.O., Masese F.O. (2012). Managing Nyando Wetlands in the Face of Climate Change. In: P.O. Raburu et al. (eds.), Community-based approach to the management of Nyando wetlands, Lake Victoria Basin, Kenya (pp.100–121). McPowl Media Limited, Nairobi, Kenya.
MEMBERSHIP TO PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- Board member, African Center for Aquatic Research and Education (ACARE)
- Member, Society for Freshwater Society (SFS)
- Member, Aquaculture Association of Kenya (AAK)
- Member, American Fisheries Society (AFS)
- Member, InFish (Inland Fisheries Research) Consortia
- Member, International Society of Limnology (SIL)
- Member, International Association of Great Lakes Research (IAGLR)
- Member, Sustainable Aquaculture Research Networks in Sub-Saharan Africa (SARNISSA),
- Member, Ecological Society of Eastern Africa (ESEA)
AWARDS AND GRANTS
- International Student Travel Award to attend the Society for Freshwater Science Annual Conference (https://sfsannualmeeting.org/agenda.cfm) from 18th to 25th May 2019 at Salt Palace Convention Center, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA;
- International Student Travel Award to attend the inaugural Sustainability and Development Conference (https://umsustdev.org/) from 9th to 11th November 2018 at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- International Student Travel Grant to attend the 8th Conference on Speciation in Ancient Lakes (SIAL 8 - http://www.sial-online.org/conferences/sial8) from 29th July to 3rd August 2018 in Entebbe, Uganda.
- Best talk award for an oral presentation at the 8th Speciation of Ancient Lakes Conference (SIAL 8) held from 29th July to 3rd August 2018 in Entebbe, Uganda.
- International Student Travel Grant to attend the 61st Annual Great Lakes Research Conference (http://iaglr.org/iaglr2018/) from 18th to 22nd June 2018 at the University of Toronto, Scarborough, Canada
- Outstanding young scientist (under 35 years) award: Gave the best talk during the African Great Lakes Conference held on 2nd to 5th May 2017 in Entebbe, Uganda (https://www.africangreatlakesinform.org/article/african-great-lakes-conference-2017).