The IOCAFRICA, in collaboration with the Egyptian National Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries (NIOF), are organizing “The African Kick-off Conference of the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development” during the period 7-9 December 2021 (online). The Conference will serve as a platform for the launch of the UN Decade (2021-2030) in Africa. It will also bring energy to the Decade of African Seas and Oceans (2015-2025) and the 2050 African Integrated Maritime Strategy (2050 AIM Strategy).
The specific objectives of the Conference are:
- Provide a platform for the regional launch of the UN Decade for Ocean Science for Sustainable Development.
- Assess the current status of the ocean observations and monitoring in Africa
- Highlight current knowledge in disciplines related to the theme of the Conference;
- Identify gaps and priority research areas for improved management of the coastal and marine environment of the region.
- Highlight the challenges and opportunities in marine science and technology in Africa.
- Promoting collaboration in research and development between the institutions in and outside Africa.
- Review and support the implementation of the Decade of African Seas and Oceans (2015-2025)
We look forward to receiving abstracts on any of the following themes by 30 April 2021.
- Ocean ecosystems and resources, including fisheries
- Ocean health and resilience, including state of pollution
- Climate change mitigation and adaptation
- Coastal zone management and marine spatial planning
- Ocean mapping, ocean observations in Africa and African ocean information system
- Ocean forecasting and prediction