Mr. Boaz Ohowa is a Marine Chemist with many years research experience in marine and coastal systems. His main areas of research interest include biogeochemistry of coastal systems (nutrient fluxes and dynamics, pollution studies and ecosystem productivity), Natural products research (extraction, isolation and characterization of bioactive compounds from marine resources). He has participated in a number of national, regional and international projects. He is currently involved in a bio-prospecting project which entails the profiling of marine fauna and flora for bioactive compounds with potential application in pharmaceutical and food industries. He has published a number of papers in peer-reviewed international journals.
Research Network: ResearchGate
- BSc. (Chemistry), University of Nairobi;
- M.Sc. (Chemistry), University of Nairobi;
- MMM (Master of Marine Management), Dalhousie University, Canada
- Ohowa, B. O. Seasonal variations of the nutrient fluxes into the Indian Ocean from the Sabaki river, Kenya. Discovery and Innovation, 8(3): 265-274.
- Ohowa, B. O., Mwashote, B. M., and Shimbira, W. S. 1997. Dissolved inorganic nutrient fluxes from two seasonal rivers into Gazi bay, Kenya. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 45: 189-195.
- Kitheka, J. U., Ohowa, B. O., Mwashote, B. M., Shimbira, W.. S., Mwaluma, J. M., and Kazungu, J. M. 1996. Water circulation dynamics, water column nutrients and phytoplankton productivity in a well-flushed tropical bay in Kenya. Journal of Sea Research, 35(4): 257-268.
- Woitchik, A. F., Ohowa, B. O., Kazungu, J. M., Goeyens, L., and Dehairs, F. 1997. Nitrogen enrichment during decomposition of mangrove leaf litter in an East African Coastal Lagoon (Kenya): Relative importance of biological nitrogen fixation. Biogeochemistry, 39: 15-35.
- Middelburg, J. J., Nieuwenhuize, J., Slim, F. J., and Ohowa, B. Sediment biogeochemistry in an East African Mangrove forest (Gazi bay, Kenya). Biogeochemistry, 34: 133-146.
- Kitheka, J. U., Mwashote, B. M., Ohowa, B. O., and Kamau, J. 1999. Water circulation, ground water outflow and nutrient dynamics in Mida creek, Kenya. Mangroves and Salt Marshes, 3: 135-146.
- Boga, H. I., Ohowa, B. O., W. E. Mwatha, and F. M. Muthuri. 2003. Nitrogen fixing activities in the mangrove swamp at Gazi bay, Kenya. East African Journal of Science, 4(2): 65-74.
- Mwashote, B. M., Ohowa, B. O., and Wawiye, P. O. 2005. Spatial and temporal distribution of dissolved inorganic nutrients and phytoplankton in Mida creek, Kenya. Wetlands Ecology and Management, 13: 599-614.
- MacDougall, L. A., McCall, R., Douglas, K. A., Cheney, T. A., Oetelaar, M., Squires, K., Alvarez Saules, C. V., Alidina, H., Nagtegaal-Cinningham, E., WeselohMcKeane, S. C., Araula, J. J. Y., Md.Hamayun,N., Lawson, S., Chiasson, N. C., Diaz, G. C., Choy, T. A., Ankamah, K. E., Ohowa, B. , Toribo, A. T., del Toro, J. J., Fournier, R. O., and Taggat, C. T. 2006. Marine Invasive Species in North America: Impacts, Pathways and Management. Ocean Yearbook. 20: 435-469.
- Ohowa, B. O. Evaluation of the effectiveness of the regulatory regime in the management of oil pollution in Kenya. Ocean and Coastal Management, 52(1): 17-21.
- Okuku, E. O., Ohowa, , Mwangi, S. N., Munga, D., Kiteresi, L. I., Wanjeri, V. O., Okumu, S., and Kilonzo, J. 2011. Sewage pollution in the Coastal waters of Mombasa City, Kenya: A norm Rather than an Exception. International Journal of Environmental Research, 5(4): 865-874.
- Okuku, E. O., Ohowa, , Ongore, C. O., Kiteresi, L. I., Wanjeri, V. O., Okumu, S., and Ochola, O. 2013. Screening of potential ecological risk of metal contamination in some Kenyan estuaries. Research Journal of Physical and Applied Sciences, 2(4): 52-63.
- Kamau, J., Ochola, O., Ohowa, B., Mitto, C., Magori, C., Labatt, C., Osore, M., Mahongo, B. S., Kyewalyanga, M, S. 2020. Employing multivariate analysis to determine the drivers of productivity on the North Kenya Bank and in Kenyan territorial waters. WIO Journal of Marine Science, Special Issue 1: 33-41.
- Kamau, J., Ngisiange, N., Ochola, O., Kilionzi, J., Kimeli, A., Mahongo, B. S., Onganda, H., Mitto, C., Ohowa, B., Magori, C., Kimani, E., Osore, M. 2020. Factors influencing spatial patterns in primary productivity in Kenyan territorial waters. WIO Journal of Marine Science Special Issue 1: 9-18.
- 1990: Awarded a research grant by the National Council for Science and Technology (NCST) for a project titled ‘Seasonal variations of the nutrient fluxes inti the Indian Ocean from the Sabaki river, Kenya.’ – Findings published in the journal ‘Discovery and Innovation.’
- 1997: Awarded a WIOMSA MARG I grant for a project titled ‘Environmental factors affecting Nitrogen Fixing Activity in Tropical Mangrove Sediments’, carried out at Gazi bay, South coast.