Dr. Odoli (far left), Dr. Nyamwea (far right) and Ms. Safina Musa (second right) with participants during the sensitization for cage farmers (women groups) in Homa Bay County on fish value addition from 10th to 13th May 2021.
On 7th May, 2021 Director General KMFRI Prof. James Njiru (3rd left) joined CS Wildlife & Tourism in the launch of National Wildlife Census 2021 at Shimba Hills National Reserve, Kwale County. With them was DG KWS Brig (Rtd) J. Waweru (R), DG KMA R.Njue (4th L), Dr P.Omondi Director WRTI (2nd L). Census will also include Marine Mega Fauna along Kenya coast
KMFRI Director General, Prof. James Njiru (3rd right) with Governor Uasin Gishu County, HE Jackson Mandago (centre) and other County Officials in Eldoret during a consultative meeting on 3rd May, 2021 to establish KMFRI Station in the County
PS SDFA & BE Dr Francis Owino (centre), KMFRI BoM Chair Hon John Mumba (2nd right), KMFRI Director Prof James Njiru (left) during a courtesy call to Mombasa County commissioner Mr Gilbert Kitiyo.
The newly appointed Principal Secretary SDFA & BE Dr Francis O. Owino (seated centre) during his maiden visit at KMFRI Mombasa headquarters on 2nd March 2021.
Kenya Launches a coral reef fish project (Funded by Japan/FAO) to improve food security, livelihoods and maritime safety through increased resilience of coastal fishing communities
KMFRI Mombasa Center Director, Dr. Eric Okuku (centre) representing KMFRI Director and Assistant Director (Projects & Collaborations/CD Shimoni) Dr. James Kairo (right), meet Dr. Mathieu Guerin from France Embassy to explore possible research collaboration with French institutions.
KMFRI Director, Prof. James Njiru (right) exchange MoU with VC Pioneer International University, Dr Gideon Maina (left), this SDFA & BE MoU is on several areas of collaboration that includes Kenya Fisheries Services. The ceremony was witnessed by outgoing PS Prof. Micheni Ntiba on on 22nd Feb. 2021at Kilimo House, Nairobi
KMFRI Director, Prof. James Njiru (right) and Mombasa CD, Dr. Erick Okuku during the World Wetlands day on 2nd February, 2021 held at Sabaki Estuary, the celebration was officiated by the CS for Environment and Forestry Mr. Keriako Tobiko who led government officials and communities in planting mangrove trees
Director KMFRI Prof. James Njiru (right) with Deputy Director Freshwater System, Dr. Christopher Aura (centre) and Ag. ADF, Kenya Fisheries Services, Mr. Simon Munguti (left) during the Launch of Electronic Catch Assessment Survey (e-CAS) system and Stake Holder’s Engagement and dissemination Workshop on Environmental Clean-up and Mentorship Framework at Sosa Cottages in Vihiga County on 4 - 5th Jan, 2021
Paul Sagwe Orina a freshwater aquaculture research scientist in KMFRI doubles as the freshwater systems Assistant Director and the Center Director Kegati Aquaculture Research Center. He is the national chairman of the Technologies Assessment Technical Team (TATT) under the Agriculture Sector Development Support Program (ASDSP) focusing on Agriculture Value Chains for commercialization and the country scientific technical member of the Kenyan aquaculture team on Technologies for African Agriculture Transformation (TAAT) a WorldFish project. Dr Orina has 6 years experience in freshwater fisheries having worked in Lakes Turkana and Naivasha and 9 years freshwater aquaculture experience. He has vast knowledge on fish breeding and culture systems with a major focus on indigenous commercially important fish species. He headed the inception of private investment of Nile tilapia and African catfish hatcheries in Kenya (2010-2016) resulting in the rise from less than 30 to over 100. He is the head of the tilapia breeding program in Kenya initiated in 2012 and currently at the F8 generation. Dr Orina has been a team member of various locally and internationally funded aquaculture and agriculture projects including the Kenya Agricultural Productivity and Agribusiness Program (KAPAP), Association for Strengthening Agricultural Research in Eastern and Central Africa (ASARECA), Strengthening Institutional Capacity for Participatory Action Research in Aquaculture (USAID-PEER), National Research Fund (NRF), National Council of Science and Technology (NACOST). He is currently engaged in three the global programs; BBSRC fund in collaboration with India and the UK, Technologies for African Agriculture Transformation (TAAT) a WorldFish (Malysia) funded project in partnership with African Development Bank (AfDB) and St John York University Seed Fund for Climate Smart Aquaculture Technologies in Africa. Locally, Dr Orina is the KMFRI lead partner in the National Research Fund on Mycrocystins in Lake Victoria in collaboration with Maseno, Masinde Muliro and Moi Universities in Kenya. He has vast mentorship record having been a zoology and aquaculture facilitator at Karatina University and now Kisii University since 2012. He is also a facilitator in the Fisheries and Aquaculture MSc. Module for the International MSc. Program in Limnology & Wetland Ecosystems offered by Egerton University (Kenya) and University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences (Austria) under the support of UNESCO-IHE DELFT. Dr Orina has successfully supervised 1 PhD student and 2 MSc students from Moi and Egerton Universities in Kenya. He is currently supervising 3 MSc students all from Kisii University.
Research Networks: ResearchGate
Academia.edu: https://ke.linkedin.com › paul-orina-190b4050
Willey Online Library: https://doi.org/10.1111/lre.12202
2010-2014: University of Eldoret –DPhil Zoology (Animal Ecology)
2006-2008: Moi University –MPhil Zoology (Animal Ecology)
1999-2003: University of Eastern Africa, Baraton- BSc. Zoology
1991-1994: Kisii High School- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education
1983-1990: Bahyani Primary School- Kenya Certificate of Primary Education
- Onyango DM., Orina PS., Ramkat RC., Kowenje C., Githukia CM., Lusweti D and Lungaiya HBO (2019). Review of the current state of knowledge and the impact of microcystin in fish in Lake Victoria. Lakes & Reservoirs: Research and Management. LRE-18-051. In Press
- Mbugua H., Muritu R., Orina P., Mziri V., Mugo J., Mwangata R., Obwanga B., Were E. and Lewo R. (2020). Aquaculture Handbook. A Practical Guide to Aquaculture Value Chain in Kenya (In press).
- Orina PS., Onyango DM., Lungayia H., Oduor A., Sifuna A. W., Otuya P., Owigar A.R., Kowenje CB., and Hinzano SM (2020). Water Quality of Selected Fishing Beaches of Lake Victoria Kenyan Gulf. Open Journal of Ecology, 10, 22-35.
- Orina PS., Ogello E., Kembenya E., Githukia C., Musa S., Ombwa V., Mwainge VM., Abwao J., Ondiba RN and Okechi JK (2018). State of Cage Culture in Lake Victoria, Kenya. Laxpress Services, Nairobi, Kenya. 62 p. ISBN: 978-9966-114-79-2.
- Orina PS., Charo-Karisa H, Munguti JM, Boera P., Abwao J., Kyule D., Opiyo MA., Marcial , Manyala J and Rasowo JO (2018). A comparative study of Labeo victorianus (Bouelenger, 1901) and Oreochromis niloticus (Linnaeus, 1758) grown in polyculture systems. Lakes & Reservoirs Research & Management 2018; 00:1–7. https://doi.org/10.1111/lre.12202
- Nyonje BM, Opiyo M A., Orina PS., Abwao J., Wainaina M and Charo-Karisa H (2018). Current status of freshwater fish hatcheries, broodstock management and fingerling production in the Kenya aquaculture sector. Livestock Research for Rural Development. Volume 30, Article #6. http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd30/1/mary30006.html
- Ogada EO., Orina PS and Ogendi GO (2018). Effect of stocking density and diet on the performance of Jipe tilapia (Oreochromis jipe) cultured in hapas at Sagana, Kenya. International Journal of Advanced Research. 6(10): 296-308. DOI: 21474/IJAR01/7811
- Munguti JM., Obiero KO., Orina PS., Musa S., Mwaluma J., Mirera D., Ochiewo ,Kairo J. and Njiru JM. (Eds.) (2017). The State of Aquaculture in Kenya. Laxpress Services, Nairobi, Kenya. 133 p. ISBN: 978-9966-109-82-8.
- Opiyo MA., Charo-Karisa H., Nyonje B., Omollo B., Orina PS., Wainaina P., Obiro K and Munguti JM (2017). Good Aqauculture Practises for Seed Production in Kenya. Vol 1. 50 ISBN: 978-9966-100-07-8.
- Kyule_Muendo D., Munguti JM., Opiyo MA., Obiero KO., Githukia CM., Orina PS., Njiru JM and Charo-Karisa H (2017). Fish Recipe Book. 45 p. ISBN: 978-9966-103-63-6.
- Opiyo MA., Orina PS and Charo-Karisa H (2017). Fecundity, growth parameters and survival rate of three African catfish (Clarias gariepinus) strains under hatchery conditions. Journal of Aquaculture Engineering and Fisheries Research E-ISSN 2149-0236, DOI: 3153/JAEFR170.
- Nyachae M., Muya SM., Ogila K and Orina PS (2017). Effect of stocking density and diet on growth and survival of Labeo victorianus fish. International Journal of Agriculture and Environmental Research. 3(1): 2225-2241.
- Kwikiriza G., Tibihika PD., Barekye A., Beingana A and Orina PS (2016). Performance of African Catfish Clarias gariepinus (Clarridae) fry fed on live rotifers (Brachionus calyciflorus), formulated diet and a mixture of rotifers and formulated diet. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 4(6): 11-15
- Nyonje BM., Opiyo MA., Orina PS., Abwao J., Wainaina M. and Charo-Karisa, H (2016). Status of Hatcheries, Broodstock and Fingerling Production in Kenya. Bulletin of Animal Health and Production in Africa.
- Maranga B., Liti D., Matola G., Orina P (2016). Evaluation of the efficiency of wastewater stabilization system using macro- Invertebrates community and pollution tolerance index. International Journal of Innovative Research and Advanced Studies. Vol 3
- Orina PS., Rasowo J., Oyoo-Okoth E., Musa S., Munguti JM and Charo-Karisa H (2016). Combined effects of photoperiod and temperature on growth and survival of African catfish (Clarias gariepinus, Burchell 1822) larvae under laboratory conditions, Journal of Applied Aquaculture, 28:1, 17-25, DOI: 1080/10454438.2015.1113763.
- Ngugi CC., Oyoo-Okoth E., Mugo-Bundi J., Orina PS., Chemoiwa EJ and Aloo PA (2015). Effects of dietary administration of stinging nettle (Urtica dioica) on the growth performance, biochemical, hematological and immunological parameters in juvenile and adult Victoria Labeo (Labeo victorianus) challenged with Aeromonas hydrophila. Fish Shellfish Immunology. 2015 Jun; 44(2):533-41. doi: 10.1016/j.fsi.2015.03.025. Epub 2015 Mar
- Opiyo MA., Orina PS., Kyule D., Munguti, JM., Nyonje BM and Charo-Karisa H. (2015). Growth performance and survival of three African Catfish (Clarias gariepinus, Burchell 1882) strains reared in hapas in Kenya. Bulletin of Animal Health and Production in
- Musa S., Orina PS, Aura CM., Kundu R., Ogello EO., Munguti JM (2014). The effects of dietary Levels of protein and greenhouse on growth, behaviour and fecundity of Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus ) broodstock. International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR) ISSN (Online). 2319-7064.
- Orina PS., Rasowo J., Gichana E., Maranga B and Charo-Karisa H (2014). Artificial breeding protocol and optimal breeding environment for Labeo victorianus (Boulenger, 1901). International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies. 1(6): 138-143.
- Orina PS., Rasowo JO., Opiyo MA., Boera P., Abwao J and Charo-Karisa H (2014). Optimization of seed and broodstock transport densities for improved survival of African carp (Labeo victorianus, Boulenger, 1901). International Journal of Chemical Studies. ISSN: 2321- 4902, Volume 2 Issue
- Abwao JO., Boera PN., Munguti JM., Orina PS and Ogello EO. (2014). The potential of periphyton based aquaculture for Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus ) production. A review. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies. 2(1): 147-152.
- Orina PS., Maina J., Wangia S., Karuri E., Mbuthia P., Omolo B., Osure OG., Musa S and Munguti JM (2014). Situational analysis of Nile tilapia and African catfish hatcheries management: A case study of Kisii and Kirinyaga Counties in Kenya. Livestock Research for Rural Development. Volume 26 (5).
- Orina PS., Opiyo MA and Charo-Karisa, H. (2013). Optimization of seed and broodstock transport densities for improved survival of cultured Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus, L 1758). International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies. 2014; 1(5): 157-161.
- Maina JG., Mbuthia PG., Ngugi J., Omolo B., Orina, PS., Wangia SM., Karuri EG., Maitho T and Owiti GO (2014). Influence of Socio-economic factors, gender and fish farming enterprise and productivity project on fish farming practices in Kenya. Livestock Research for Rural Development Volume. 26 (2).
- Musa S., Aura CM, Owiti G., Nyonje B., Orina PS and Charo-Karisa H (2012). Fish farming enterprise productivity program (FFEPP) as an impetus to Oreochromis niloticus (L.) farming in Western Kenya: Lessons to learn. African Journal of Agricultural Research. Vol. 7(8), pp. 1324- 1330.
- Charo-Karisa H., Munguti JM., Ouma H., Masai MD., Opiyo M., Orina PS and Okechi J (2011). A fish farmer’s manual for beginners, students and hatchery
- Oyoo-Okoth E., Mucai M., Ngugi CC., Njenga EW., Ngure V, Orina PS., Chemoiwa EC and Wanjohi BK (2011). Zooplankton partitioning in a tropical alkaline-saline endorheic Lake Nakuru, Kenya: Spatial and temporal trends in relations to the environment. Lakes & Reservoirs: Research and Management 16:1-13.
- Charo-Karisa H., Orina PS., Opiyo MA., Munguti JM and Nyonje B (2010). Teaching Curriculum Development for Hatchery Managers and Fish Farmers in
- Oyoo-Okoth E., Wim A., Osano O., Kraak HS., Ngure V., Makwali J and Orina PS (2010). Use of the fish endoparasite Ligula intestinalis (L., 1758) in an intermediate cyprinid host (Rastreneobola argentea) for biomonitoring heavy metal contamination in Lake Victoria, Kenya. Lakes & Reservoirs: Research and Management 15: 63–73.
- Charo-Karisa H., Opiyo MA., Obiero K., Yongo E., Orina PS., Munguti JM (2013). Optimizing aquaculture productivity through enhanced seed, feed and appropriate technology development in Kenya. Conference proceeding at the 2nd ASARECA General Assembly and Scientific Conference, 9th –13th December 2013, Bujumbura
- Mwangi JM., Maina JG., Gachuiri CK and Orina PS (2016). Growth response of African catfish (Clarias gariepinus) to different protein levels in a semi- intensive production system. Conference
- Yongo E., Opiyo MA., Munguti JM., Kyule D., Orina PS., Obiero K and Charo-Karisa H (2013). Mobilizing the aquaculture sector for economic and sustainable growth: Case study of Vihiga, Kirinyaga and Kilifi Counties in the republic of Kenya. ASARECA Conference
- Wainaina M., Opiyo MA., Orina PS and Charo-Karisa H (2013). Growth performance of different sizes at stocking of Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus ) fingerlings cultured in semi- intensive ponds. ASARECA Conference Proceeding.
- Orina PS., Mirera D and Charo-Karisa H (2012). Culture Systems in Kenya. An Overview. ARK I Conference
- Kembenya EM., Orina PS, Okechi J., Githukia C., Boera P and Munguti JM (2018). Diplostomatid parasite affecting cultured Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus ) from Kisii, Kenya. Jsps Core-To-Core Program - Asia-Africa Science Platforms Joint Seminar Imperial Hotel, Kisumu, Kenya 21 March 2016 Conference Proceeding.